Kent County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Michelle LaJoye-Young
Kent County Sheriff’s Office Tactical Apprehension and Confrontation Team
Deputies at “Shop with a Sheriff”
Kent County Sheriff’s Office
Kent County Sheriff’s Office Motor Unit
Kent County Sheriff’s Office K-9 Unit
Kent County Sheriff’s Office “Pink Patch Program”
Kent County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Communications
Kent County Sheriff’s Office Correctional Facility
The mission of the Kent County Sheriff's Office is to preserve and protect the safety and security of the residents of Kent County and to provide for a safe and secure correctional facility.
The Kent County Sheriff's Department provides general law enforcement and corrections operations to the community.
The Sheriff's law enforcement responsibility is both criminal and civil enforcement, which includes the detection of activity as well as the investigation of reported incidents. This is accomplished with the enforcement division. In addition, the Sheriff maintains a communication center to facilitate emergency call answering for the county. This, along with maintaining minimum training standards, is accomplished within the communications and technology division. Finally, the jail is maintained by the Sheriff and provision must be made for a secure and constitutionally correct facility. This is managed by the corrections division, which also includes a court security unit.
The Sheriff's department maintains its own training center for its approximately 550 employees. The training center includes an indoor shooting range, a mock intake vestibule, a mock jail cell, and computerized training systems.
- Continue to control the cost of providing service at the jail
- Monitor and provide for contractual law enforcement responsibilities
- Continue to provide alternative means to report criminal incidents such as on-line or telephone reporting
- Develop statistical reporting with partner townships
- Provide high visibility police patrol and law enforcement through investigation of criminal, civil, and traffic matters
- Maintain the highest level of professionalism and service to the community
- Ensure the safety and security of the community by operating a correctional facility that is governed by applicable State and Federal laws