Animal Shelter

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I adopt a pet?

    Adoption is easy at KCAS! Learn More

  • If I find a lost pet, what are the steps to help the pet get returned to his/her home?

    We utilize the website (previously, along with other methods, to help reunite lost animals with their home. Learn More

  • What is the process for transferring care of my animal to KCAS if I can no longer care for him/her?

    When animals are transferred from the home to the shelter, they tend to experience more stress than stray animals due to drastic changes in environment and losing the comfort of familiarity. We recommend that you attempt to rehome your pet with friends, family, colleagues, through neighborhood apps, or other rehoming services. The shelter must be considered the very last option and not a drop off point for pets. In order to serve owned animals better, they are accepted on an appointment basis to allow time and secure a place for the least amount of stress possible. Please take time to consider this, as transferring your pet to our care is a permanent decision. Call 616.632.7300 to schedule an appointment.

  • Does KCAS provide euthanasia services for my pet?

    KCAS offers low cost euthanasia for pets. This service is a drop-off service only. Pet owners are not able to be in the room during the procedure. KCAS uses the most humane method of euthanasia currently available and the cost is $40 per pet. Please call 616-632-7300 to schedule an appointment.

  • Do I need a dog license?

    Dog licenses are required for all dogs over the age of four (4) months. Learn More

  • Does KCAS accept donations?

    Yes! We have a wish list of items here that can be donated to the Shelter. We also have an Amazon Wishlist with items that can be delivered directly to us. Thank you for thinking of us!

  • Can I volunteer at the shelter?

    Yes! We have many different areas where volunteers can assist. Learn More

  • There’s a cat that keeps coming to my door/porch/window.
    The cats you see outside may be indoor/outdoor cats, or they may be community cats that are living outdoors. Community cats are felines that live in the neighborhood but don’t belong directly to a specific household. These cats have not been socialized with people, so a traditional home isn’t their best option. For information on how to live alongside community cats, please see this brochure.
  • Does KCAS do rabies testing?
    KCAS works with community members who have or suspect they have been exposed to rabies, specifically to test the animal involved. This flowchart discusses whether an animal should be tested for rabies and/or medical treatment is suggested for humans, and this flowchart is for reference when an animal (domestic and livestock) has been exposed. For additional information, please see this page on the Kent County Health Department website.
  • Help! I have a rodent/bird/other wildlife in my house/yard!

    Kent County Animal Shelter does NOT have licensing to work with wildlife. Domesticated animals (cats, dogs, livestock) cannot be mixed with wildlife. Please direct all wildlife concerns to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) at 800.292.7800 or visit their website at Otherwise, please contact your local pest control company.