Friend of the Court

Notice: The Friend of the Court Lobby and Payment Window are now open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
You may also call our office from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, to speak with a Client Services Representative. Call (616) 632-6888.

Friend of the Court Drop Box Station
  • Drop box for documents is available on the first floor of 82 Ionia Avenue.
  • Drop box for non-cash payments is available on the first floor of 82 Ionia Avenue.

No Cash please. Cashier Checks and Money Orders, made payable to: Kent County Friend of the Court, are accepted in the Payment Drop Box.

You may still communicate with us by:
  • Phone: (616) 632-6888
  • E-mail at Please include your name and case number. Your message will be given to a FOC employee, and you will receive a response as soon as possible.
  • 2-Way Communication through the MiSupport website at

To access your case online, you may sign up at

Facing Eviction?

Don’t forget about your Kent County Friend of the Court case. Please click here to learn about steps you can take.

Evaluation Payments:
  • Checks or Money Orders only
    Kent County Friend of the Court
    PO Box 351,
    Grand Rapids MI, 49501-0351.
Support Payment Options:
  • Cash, Certified Checks or Money Orders are accepted in the FOC Lobby at the Payment Window. (Make payable to the Kent County Friend of the Court).
  • Online:
  • Mail:
    • MiSDU, PO Box 30351, Lansing, MI 48909-7851
  • Cash:
Child Support Enforcement Meeting with a Case Manager?
Mediation Appointment?
Telephone Appointment? Do you need an Interpreter?
  • If you speak a language other than English, please put the language you speak on the form.
If you are not working because of COVID-19
  • Please provide proof in writing to FOC from your employer that this is a lay-off or the business closed
  • If a lay-off, include the return-to-work date if it is known, and whether the employer will continue to pay you during the lay-off.
  • If you are filing for unemployment benefits, let the FOC know this and make payments from these benefits the best you can until you see automatic deductions for support being made.
  • If you are seeking employment, report your job search in writing to the FOC monthly until new employment is found, you return to work, or you start receiving benefits.
Will a support payer’s stimulus check be intercepted for child support?

Mission Statement

To serve the Court and the families of Kent County to ensure children are supported, both financially and emotionally.

We understand that issues associated with custody, parenting time and child support can often be stressful. The animations below make Friend of the Court processes a little less intimidating.

A big thank you to Grand Valley State University's Suzanne Zack and the students in GVSU's Animation Outreach, North Park Montessori students and staff, and the Grand Rapids Community Media Center for their creativity!

When changes are needed in your parenting time order.

Parenting Time

How to make changes to your child support order.

Child Support Changes

Mediation is used to help resolve issues and make changes to your custody and/or parenting time order.

What is Mediation

How to sign up for child support case information.

Payment Info Sign Up

Various ways to make child support payments.

Ways to Make Payments

Visit the FOC website for information, forms, and office hours.

General Information

Submit updated changes in health insurance information to FOC within 21 days

Health Care Enforcement


The Friend of the Court is the collection, enforcement and investigative arm of the Circuit Court in the area of domestic relations. The action by the office is dictated by court order. Orders are issued by the court after the Judge has made a determination and the written document is signed, then filed with the county clerk. To obtain a domestic relations order from the Court, the issue has to be brought before the Court through formal legal action. This is accomplished through private attorneys, sometimes the prosecuting attorney or by action of one of the parties. The Friend of the Court does not become involved until action is filed with the court.

We are available through email 24-hours a day at and by phone at 877-543-2660 or (616) 632-6888, Monday-Friday from 8:00am-4:30pm. Case Managers will be available for walk-in appointments on Tuesdays from 8:00am-11:30am and Thursday from 1:00pm-4:00pm.

From time to time, changes are made in our case manager assignments. Please know that, even though you might work with someone different, your case manager is fully able to assist you.

Selected Performance Measures (PDF) »