Register of Deeds
Register of Deeds Office records all documents pertaining to real property in Kent County, including deeds, mortgages, land contracts, liens and other documents pertaining to real estate. The goals of the Office are:
- To provide service and information as to the public record regarding real property located in Kent County
- To promptly process and accept for public record all documents received pursuant to the Michigan Recording Act
- To research and develop new ways of using technology to improve the input, storage, and retrieval of information
State Transfer Tax Refund Information
Helpful tips to acquire the required documentation:
- Application for State Real Estate Transfer Tax Refund »
- Copies of the recorded deeds which should show the transfer tax stamp and proof of sales price can be purchased through the online Deed Search or by visiting the Register of Deeds office.
- Proof of the SEV can be found at the local municipality (view the City, Township, Village Directory for contact information) or by visiting AccessMyGov.
Effective OCTOBER 1, 2016 in the State of Michigan:
Regardless of the number of pages, all documents will cost $30.00 to record, this cost is inclusive of Michigan Remonumentation and Register of Deeds Automation fees. For a document that assigns or discharges more than 1 instrument $3.00 for each instrument assigned or discharged (in addition to the $30.00 flat fee). To certify a recorded document $5.00; copies remain at $1.00 per page. Transfer Tax fees and the $5.00 Treasurer’s Tax Certification fee is still due for those documents that require it.