- Car in good working order, plenty of gas?
- Make sure you know what to do in case of an accident, have important
information available and know how to use it.
- Do not leave personal Id, Credit cards in vehicle
- Lock valuable items, packages in trunk out of site
- Keep car locked at all times, even while driving
- Park in well lit areas, and approach vehicle with keys in hand
- Be aware of your surroundings; look around, suspicious people, cars.
Walk out with others, contact police for escort.
- If you feel you are being followed do not drive home, drive to open business,
police or fire station.
- Do not pick up hitchhikers, if they need assistance drive ahead and make
call. Do not give strangers rides, regardless of their sob story. Tell them
you can call police and the police can give them a ride.
- One of the best safety features for a vehicle is a cell phone, even if
only used in emergencies.
- Let someone know where you are going and what time you will be back.
Do not warm car up in attached garage, pull vehicle out and close garage
door. Have extra set of keys so you can lock the vehicle. (Carbon Monoxide
can build up and seep into your home; Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer.)