To Be a Good Bike Driver, You Must Be a Safe Bike Driver!
Safety Rules and Traffic Laws
- Make sure that you write down your bicycle serial number and description.
- Do a daily bike inspection.
- Have all major bicycle repairs done by a trained bicycle mechanic.
- Always stop prior to entering the street from any driveway.
- Ride single file to the right edge of the road.
- Walk your bike across major intersections.
- Never ride two persons on one bicycle.
- Never carry any objects in your hands. Use a carrying rack or backpack.
- Learn the meaning of traffic signs and follow their instructions.
- It would be best not to ride after dark, but if you do, wear light colored clothes and use a light on your bicycle.
- Be alert for road hazards such as; pot holes, sewer grates, gravel, and trash tossed on the roadway.
- Always walk your bike when traveling on a sidewalk in a shopping area. Remember, pedestrians have the right of way.
- Always wear a bicycle helmet. Also, protection pads if you are stunt riding. Always do stunts under proper supervision.
- Lock your bike when you leave it.
- Respect other persons and their property.
- HAVE FUN!
If you have any questions, please contact the Community Services Unit at (616) 632-6220.