Sheriff's Office

Animal Control

Kent County Animal Control enforces the Kent County Animal Control Ordinance, which outlines the requirements for animal behavior, the keeping of animals, and licensing.

If there is an animal emergency - an animal is attacking a person or a pet is in immediate danger - please call 911. Otherwise, please call the Kent County Sheriff's Office dispatch at (616) 632-7310.
  • What do I do if my dog bit someone, or I was bitten by a dog?

    Kent County Animal Control investigates all reports of dog bites in Kent County as part of community rabies control. You should report a bite directly by calling Animal Control at (616) 632-7310. You should also contact your physician and/or the Kent County Health Department to determine if treatment is necessary.

    A dog that has bitten a person needs to be quarantined for 10 days. Depending on the circumstances, this may be done within the owner's home or at the Animal Shelter.

  • What do I do if I encounter a stray dog?

    If you already have the dog in your possession please call the Animal Shelter at 616-632-7300 to arrange intake.

  • What do I do if a neighborhood dog keeps barking?

    Barking dog complaints are generally covered by city, village, or township ordinances and should be reported to your local law enforcement agency.

  • How do I report a suspected case of cruelty or neglect?

    Kent County Animal Control investigates complaints of cruelty and neglect. To report a suspected instance of cruelty or neglect, please call the Kent County Sheriff's Office dispatch at (616) 632-7310. Animal Control Officers responding to the scene will use the Kent County Animal Control Ordinance and/or Michigan Law to determine if further action is needed, and may take enforcement action in cases where cruelty or neglect is found to have taken place.

  • What do I do about injured wildlife?

    Kent County Animal Shelter does NOT have the proper licensing to work with wildlife. Domesticated animals (cats, dogs, livestock) cannot be mixed with wildlife. Please direct all wildlife concerns to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) at 800.292.7800 or visit their website at Otherwise, please contact your local pest control company.