63rd District Court

Small Claims Division

What is Small Claims Court?

The small claims court was established in 1968 as a division of the District Court system. Its purpose is to provide a court to be used by people without the aid of attorneys to settle monetary disputes of $6,500 or less, or to acquire some type of fair settlement.

You do not need to know anything about the law to bring a suit in small claims court. Since lawyers are not allowed to argue cases for clients, you don't need a lawyer. You simply state your case in your own words. After both sides have been heard, the judge or magistrate decides on who is right.

If you win the case, the defendant must comply with the judge's ruling. It's important to remember that a judge's decision is final in small claims court. It cannot be appealed to a higher court. However, if the case is heard by a magistrate, either the plaintiff or the defendant may, within seven days from the issue date of the judgment, ask that the case be reheard by a judge if the magistrate's decision is unfavorable.

More information regarding small claims may be found on the state court website.

How to file a Small Claims lawsuit in the 63rd District Court:

  • Before filing your small claim case, you may wish to consider some things including: is the person you are suing collectable – how likely is it that you will be able to recover the money that you may be awarded by the judge/magistrate, how much you are willing to spend in order to try and collect that money, and is small claims the type of suit you wish to file (remember, either party may file a demand for the case to be removed to General Civil at any point before the small claims hearing is held).
  • In order to file a small claim against the person or business you want to sue, you must first determine the proper venue. You must file your suit in the district court based either on where the defendant lives or where the business is located, or where the transactions took place.  View a map to determine the proper venue.
  • Tell the clerk seated at the “Civil” window that you want to file a small claim. The Affidavit of Claim form may be purchased for $1 at the court, or it may be filled out online and printed off ahead of time.  If you complete the online form, you will need to provide an original plus four copies.  If the copies are not provided, the court may charge you for the copies at the rate of $1/page. 
  • You will need to know the exact name and address of the person or business you are suing (please note, the Court does not assist you in locating a current address), how much money you are suing for, and why you are suing.  You must also choose how you wish to have the papers served.  Your options include restricted certified mail, court officer, or any legally competent adult who is not a party or an officer of a corporate party in the case.  
  •  If the defendant cannot be located and served personally or by alternate service, the suit cannot go forward.
  • If the small claims clerk is available at the time you file, she will set up a court date with you then.  Hearings are typically set about six weeks out.  If a court date is unable to be set at the time you file, then you will receive a phone call to set the hearing date and time.
  • If you win the case, you may be entitled to be reimbursed by the defendant for the costs of filing your suit. Be sure to request the award of costs in your claim in addition to the amount of damages.
  • If you have any questions or need help, ask the small claims clerk. He or she will help you as much as is legally possible. The clerk may tell you how to use the court, but may NOT give legal advice.
  • Please be aware that having a judgment issued in favor of the plaintiff only allows the plaintiff the right to attempt collections.  It does NOT guarantee there will be any money available for actual collection.

Before the hearing:

  • The person or business you are suing has the right to ask that the case be heard in a higher court, which is the general civil division. This removal does allow either party to then hire an attorney if desired.  You will be notified if the defendant makes such a request.
  • Some cases may be referred to mediation prior to the small claims hearing date in an effort to settle the case beforehand.
  • It is also possible that the defendant will offer to pay out of court once a notice of your pending lawsuit is received. If you reach such an agreement, make sure that the terms of payment are put in writing and signed by both you and the defendant. Then file a copy of the agreement with the court. Once accepted by the court, the agreement becomes an official judgment of the court and is enforceable by law.  Also the parties may agree to drop the case entirely, in which case a dismissal form should be filed in order to close the case.
  • You should also contact any witnesses you want to appear in court on your behalf to document your claim.
  • The hearing will take place at the court where you filed your claim, unless another location is specified by the court. Be there on time.  Check in with the clerk seated at the “Civil” window.  Be sure to bring all your evidence with you, and make sure any witnesses are there on time.
  • If you fail to attend the hearing without having notified the court, your claim will be dismissed. If the defendant does not show up for the hearing, the court will usually grant you a "default judgment". This means that the judge decides in your favor even though the other side of the case has not been presented.

Collecting your money

If the judge decides in your favor, it means the defendant must pay you the amount ordered by the judge, plus a small amount in court costs. If the defendant refuses to abide by the order of the court, there are various options open to you.

Read more about options for collecting money on a Small Claims Judgment.

View Filing Fees