63rd District Court

Probation Department


Phone: (616) 632-7800
Fax: (616) 363-6808
Located on the first floor of the Courthouse


Monday - Friday
By Appointment Only
8:00am-12:00pm &

1950 East Beltline NE
Attn: Probation Department
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Please include your name and case number on any correspondence.
What Is Probation?

Probation, which is granted by the judge, is a sentence that allows the offender to live in the community under the supervision of a probation officer. This decision is made after careful study of the offender’s background, behavior, and potential for success. It is based on the philosophy that the rehabilitation of some offenders might be hampered by incarceration and will be supported and encouraged by supervised freedom.

Probation is a desirable disposition in appropriate cases because it maximizes the liberty of the offender while vindicating the authority of the law and protecting the public from further violations. Probation can positively advance the rehabilitation of the offender by continuing normal community contacts such as employment, education, counseling, etc. It can minimize the impact of conviction upon innocent dependents of the offender. Probation avoids the negative effects of incarceration which can severely complicate the offender’s reintegration into the community. - (State Court Administrative Office Manual for District Court Probation Officers, Published 12/2019)

What Is the Role of a Probation Officer?

Probation Officers ensure offender compliance with the probation orders of our Judges, including administering jail alternatives, assessing and administering referrals to treatment programs and collecting assessments, while being sensitive and responsive to the needs of our diverse community.

The Probation Department prides itself on equitable approaches to supportive treatment and community resources that align with the needs of our diverse community.