Utility Services

Utility Assistance Program

KCCA provides utility financial assistance whenever funding is available for the following systems:

Water/Sewer Systems

  • Individual Circuit Breaker Assistance Program (ICBAP)


    • Grand Rapids Water System /Sewer system customers only
    • Must be at or below 200% (250 % with approved exception) of Federal Poverty Level
    • Bill must be in client’s name

    To apply for assistance please call 616-632-7950 for an appointment.

  • Natural Gas, Electricity, Propane, Fuel oil (deliverable fuel) Assistance

  • Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP)


    • Applicants must have been approved by DHHS for energy assistance
    • Assistance with DHHS copay, past due balance to prevent shut off at applicant’s primary residence
    • Applicant will participate in self-sufficiency services
    • Applicants must meet qualifying factors set by KCCA
  • Walk for Warmth


    • Client must be a resident of Kent County
    • Must be at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level
    • Utility must be at risk of shut off or be disconnected
    • Utility account must be in the applicant’s name
    • Applicant must reside at the address on the utility bill
    • Applicant has sought other resources for energy assistance (for example the Michigan Energy Assistance Program).

    Due to funding we are not taking application for this program at this time. Click here for other community resources.