17th Circuit Court
The 17th Circuit Court will provide a system of justice that assures equal
access to the fair and timely resolution of matters
brought before the Court.
Grand Rapids Marijuana Charter Amendment Opinion Issued May 6, 2013
17th Judicial Circuit
Court 2012 Annual Report
The Circuit Court is the trial court of general jurisdiction in
Michigan. It has jurisdiction over all actions except those given by
state law to another court.
The Circuit Court has original jurisdiction in all civil cases
involving more than $25,000, in all criminal cases where the offense
is a felony or a serious misdemeanor, all domestic relations cases,
and all child abuse, neglect, and delinquency cases.
The Circuit Court also hears appeals from lower courts; appeals
from local government boards such as zoning appeals; and appeals
from some administrative agencies of state government (such as
the Driver's License Appeal Division of the Secretary of State).
There are 13 judges currently sitting on the 17th Circuit. The Court's
activities are divided into the following functions:
- Administration and Adjudication Support Services
- Circuit Court Services
- Family Division Juvenile Programs
- Friend of the Court
- Continue to improve case processing; align staff and judicial
and prosecutorial resources to focus on expediency
- Meet the case processing time guidelines as promulgated by the Supreme Court and State Court Administrative Office
- Reduce recidivism
- Maximize collection of fines and fees
- Maximize the effectiveness of
existing staff and continue to provide a
high level of service and programming.
- To meet statutory and due process requirements for all matters
before the court
- To expedite the disposal of cases in a manner consistent with
fairness to all parties
- To assist the local criminal justice system by providing alternatives to incarceration/Detention
- To provide parties an alternative to settling disputes without unnecessary and costly litigation and court involvement
- To promptly and accurately enter all court orders into the state child support computer system
Selected Performance Measures (PDF) »