17th Circuit Court
17th Circuit Court - COVID-19 Response
Due to the Governor’s “Shelter in Place” Executive Order in following the guidance of the Michigan Supreme Court, Administrative Order 2020-2, beginning March 17, 2020 through at least May 15, 2020 the 17th Circuit Court is open and providing service but all face to face areas have been closed except for Personal Protection Orders, and, in the extremely rare case, certain essential hearings.
For Essential hearings (see AO 2020-2):
- Hold the hearing through a video feed
- Hold the hearing over the phone
- In extremely limited circumstances, a hearing will be held in person with less than 10 people in the courtroom.
For Non-essential hearings:
- The court may issue an order based on the pleadings (no oral argument); or
- Adjourn the hearing; or
- Hold the hearing remotely.
All jury trials are suspended until at least June
The 17th Circuit Court will continue to accept Personal Protection Order Petitions.
Certain hearings, as determined by the assigned judge, may require a party to appear but only under exigent circumstances.
The Judicial staff will contact anyone with a hearing scheduled to provide instruction on how it will proceed.
Friend of the Court
The Friend of the Court has dismissed or adjourned all of its hearings. The lobby is being closed, and appointments will only be by phone. The public will be given instructions to contact the FOC via phone or e-mail for assistance. Governor Whitmer’s Executive Order requiring citizens to “shelter in place” beginning March 24, 2020, permits parents to travel as required to permit parenting time exchanges under a valid custody or parenting time order. Please continue to follow your parenting time orders.
Circuit Court Clerks Office
The Circuit Court Clerks Office will be taking the following steps:
- Pleadings must be mailed to the court with the appropriate filing fee. Please do not send cash through the mail.
- Ex-Parte Pleadings may be submitted to: email@example.com. Appropriate filing fees must be mailed or waived. More information forthcoming regarding online payments.
- Restitution payments must be paid online.
- Certified court records available online.
- No in-person access to records until further notice; call or email for assistance. Contact Us
Do not come to court but communicate with the court by phone if:
- You are sick or have a cough fever
- You have been exposed to someone infected by COVID 19
- You have been out of the country in a place currently experiencing a COVID 19 outbreak
If you have questions please go to this link for contact information for all the departments of the courts and judicial offices, CONTACT US BEFORE COMING TO COURT.
Remote hearings may be “livestreamed” on YouTube.Learn More