Kent County Veterans Services

Filing for Pension with Aid and Attendance

Many veterans and their surviving spouses come to need assistance as they age. We at Kent County Veterans Services can help veterans and their families apply for Non-service connected pensions, Surviving spouse Pensions, and benefits for Aid and Attendance.


  • Non-Service Connected Pension
  • Surviving Spouse Pension
  • Aid and Attendance
    • Additional Special Monthly Pension for nursing home, skilled nursing, or in-home care
  • Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

Checklist of what you need when filing for benefits:

Income Records

 Social Security Benefit Statement
 Bank Statements
      Account Balance
     Interest Earned
 Investment Statements
      Account Balance
      Interest Earned

Expense Records

 Social Security Benefit Statement showing Medicare Part A, B, D, C deductions
 Supplemental Insurance Bills
  Pharmacy Printouts
  Individual Provider Statements
      Eye Doctor
      Other Provider
      Care Expense Statement from Nursing Home

Pension for veterans, surviving spouses of deceased veterans

3 Basic Criteria:

 War era service
 Income and assets are not excessive


Effective September 17, 2001, the VA presumes permanent and total disability if a veteran is:

 A patient in a nursing home for long-term care due to disability, or
 Receives Social Security Disability benefits, or
 Is age 65 or older when VA application is received.

Documents Needed

  DD214 – original or certified copy
      Marriage License
      Death Certificate

If you need Help filing out these forms please contact: Kent County Veterans Services: This may speed up the process.

Kent County Veterans Services (616) 632-5722
Elena Bridges (616) 632-5257

The Kent County Veterans Services can assist you with this.

Veterans Services: (616) 632-5722