Kent County Veterans Services

Emergency Grants

In times of financial hardship, Veterans can contact Kent County Veterans Services to apply for emergency grants known as the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Fund. This grant program is designed to help alleviate the burden of unforeseen financial emergencies.

Public Act 214 of 1899, is an act to provide relief for honorably discharged veterans and the indigent wives, widows and minor children of such indigent or deceased veterans. The Kent County Soldiers and Sailors Relief Fund is intended for unforeseen emergency financial or living hardship situations. The Kent County Department of Veterans' Affairs Committee ensures that the resources of the Emergency Relief Fund are used in a manner that is most effective in alleviating and preventing living hardship situations that promote self reliance and sustainability.

  1. Real Assistance - Aid that will correct the emergency permanently.
  2. Stewardship - Serve the maximum number of veterans in an equable manner.

Provided Services

  • Rent
  • Deposit
  • Food
  • Utilities
  • Home Repairs
  • Auto Repair

Program Considerations

When an unforeseen situation has caused a temporary financial emergency or hardship that a grant, if approved, would resolve and the applicant can show that they will be able to meet future expenses.

Program Requirements

  • Military discharge document (DD214 member 4 or NGB-22)
  • Proof of Residence
  • Documents for Dependents
  • Proof of Income and Expenses
  • Other documents depending on types of assistance

Key Definitions

For purposes of The Kent County Emergency Relief Fund, a veteran is a person who served 1 day minimum in the active military forces for purposes other than training, and who was discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions.

Eligible Dependent
The spouse or the un-married surviving spouse or child less than 18 years of age or disabled before age 18 or parent as allowed by IRS of a veteran who meets the above criteria. The spouse or children of an active duty service member during the continuance of present hostilities and prior to their discharge.

A veteran is a resident of Kent County if he/she maintains an actual residence in the County and intends to make the County his/her permanent home as verified by appropriate documentation.

A veteran is indigent if he/she has no money, property or insufficient money or property available to pay for his/her immediate need such as food, clothing, shelter, medical care or other emergency financial needs.

Proof of Need
Proofs required at time of application may include but are not limited to, Employment layoff notice, Bank foreclosure notice, Rent or Mortgage late notice, Utility shutoff notice, Eviction notice, Repossession notice, Collection notice, Doctor/Dentist statement of need, or other documentation to prove financial need. Documentation must be in writing and verifiable.

Proof of Veteran or Active duty status
As defined by Public Act 190 of 1965 (MCLA 35.61), DD214 or similar document, orders to active duty (not for training). You must show entry and separation dates and character of service.

Proof of Dependency
Birth certificates, Marriage license, Divorce Decree, Adoption Certificate, Court Order, Income tax return/IRS guidelines.

Proof of Income
Social Security award. Veterans Administration award of pension, compensation, education or insurance, Employer letter, pay stub, or IRS statement, Unemployment compensation letter, Department of Social Services income, Workers compensation, Child Support.

Proof of Assets
Cash on Hand, Checking and Savings Accounts, Investments, Trusts. Assets such as your vehicle, personal residence and personal belongings are not counted.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund - Emergency Grant Program

The Michigan Veterans Trust Fund provides emergency grants to Michigan veterans and dependent family members to help them weather short-term financial crisis.


Honorable Discharge
  • 180 days during a period of war
  • 180 days of active duty with award of Armed Forces/Navy Expeditionary Medal
  • Less than 180 days of above* due to service-incurred disability
  • Dependents can apply if veteran is eligible under certain circumstances
How to Apply
Call 800-MICH-VET (800-642-4838)

Veterans Services: (616) 632-5722