Financial Hardship

Hardship Extensions are designed to delay foreclosure deadlines for no more than one year for owners who are working actively to catch up on delinquent property taxes. Submitting a Financial Hardship Deferral Application does not guarantee it will be approved.

Financial Deferral Form


You must meet all of the following qualifications:

  • Anyone that owns or hold title to property (by recorded deed or land contract).
  • Must occupy the property as a principal residence.
  • Demonstration or provide proof to a substantial financial hardship.

How to Apply

  1. Complete a Financial Hardship Deferral Application Form.
  2. You must fill out the Financial Plan for Payment section on page 3 of application form. This section is to describe the plan to resolve the delinquent taxes. Plans may include one or more of the following:
    • Regular payments or recent history of making regular payments.
    • Assistance from local help agency.
    • Sale or refinancing of the property.
  3. Return in person, by mail to Kent County Treasurer, PO Box Y, Grand Rapids, MI 49503 or by e-mail at
  4. Applications must be submitted before March 1st

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information email or call our office at 616-632-7500.