Clerk of the Court

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?
The Circuit Court Clerk's Office is located on the 2nd floor of the Kent County Courthouse, 180 Ottawa Ave. NW, Suite 2400, Grand Rapids MI 49503. Please see the 17th Circuit Court Map.

Where can I park?
Parking is available at meters and at parking lots near the Courthouse. For City parking lot locations, please see the City of Grand Rapids Parking Map.

What are your hours?
We are open Monday through Friday from 8:00am until 5:00pm.

The Court and Clerk’s Office are closed on the following holidays:

New Year's Day

Martin Luther King's Birthday

Memorial Day

Independence day

Labor Day

Veteran's Day

Thanksgiving Day

Day after Thanksgiving

Christmas Eve

Christmas Day

What types of payment do you accept?
The Clerk’s Office accepts cash, checks and money orders.  Starter checks are not accepted.  Personal checks are not accepted for driver license clearance fees (FOC suspensions). Please make checks payable to “Kent County Clerk” and include your telephone number. You may make a credit card payment for fines and costs connected with criminal cases only.

How much does it cost to file a lawsuit?  What are other fees?
Please see Filing Fees and Local Administrative Order 2014-04.  Copies are $1.00 per page (Exception: copies of transcripts filed with the Court are 30 cents per page). Certified copies are the per page cost plus a $10 certification fee.

How much is a copy of a judgment of divorce?
An uncertified copy is $7.  A certified copy costs $15.  If ordered online, a convenience fee will be added.

How can I request adjournment of a court hearing or trial?
Please see the Court’s Adjournment Policy.  For assistance with forms and procedure, visit The Legal Assistance Center on the 5th floor of the Kent County Courthouse.   

How do I get case information?
You can search case information by using the Court Name Search in Online Services. For an on-line search of a criminal matter, you need the defendant's full name and date of birth.  Information about a specific case is also available in person or over the phone at (616) 632-5480.

How do I get bond money back?
Please call (616) 632-5457 for all questions about bonds, restitution, or fines and costs connected with criminal cases.  Also see Bond Returns.

How do I file for a divorce?
Please see the Case Types page.

Where can I find information about the Delinquent Tax Foreclosure process?  
The Treasurer's Office webpage provides answers to common question about the delinquent tax foreclosure process.

Do I have to have a lawyer?
No. No one is required to have a lawyer. If you choose to represent yourself, you need to know the court procedures. This means you have to understand court rules and procedures as well as procedural requirements.

Unless you are a licensed attorney in the State of Michigan, you cannot represent anyone other than yourself. 

If you do not know an attorney, you may contact the Grand Rapids Bar Association's Lawyer Referral and Information Service:
Lawyer Referral and Information Service
161 Ottawa NW, Suite 203B
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
(616) 454-5550 ext 107

Please remember that the Clerk of the Court and deputy clerks cannot provide legal advice. The law expressly prohibits the Clerk and deputy clerks from advising litigants (e.g., people involved in a lawsuit) on legal issues.

The Clerk’s Office does not have a public computer.  You may use one of the terminals at The Legal Assistance Center on the 5th floor of the Kent County Courthouse.  Public computers are also available at public libraries.

What self-help resources are available?
In-person assistance and forms are available at The Legal Assistance Center on the 5th floor of the Kent County Courthouse.  No appointment is necessary.  The Legal Assistance Center is open Tuesday through Friday, 8:30am until 5:00pm (closed on Mondays).

Additional information and Court Forms are also available online:

How do I order a transcript?
Transcript Requests

What is the procedure for requesting an interpreter for a court appearance?
Interpreter Service