County Clerk

Military Discharge Request Form

There is no charge for a veteran (defined below) to register a military discharge (DD214). If someone other than an eligible person is making the request and the DD214 is 70 years old (from first discharge date), a certified copy is $1.00.

When registering, please bring in your original discharge papers issued at time of discharge.

The veteran will receive one certified copy of the DD214 at the time it is registered.

Only an eligible person can receive a copy of a DD214 (Request Form):

  • Veteran
  • Person with veteran's written permission
  • Heir (documentation required)*
  • Veteran's service officer

Veteran = According to MCL 35.61, a "veteran" is defined, in part, as one "...who was discharged... under honorable conditions"

* If the veteran is deceased, an heir can obtain a copy of the military discharge by presenting a copy of the death certificate and proof of relationship to the veteran (e.g., birth certificate, marriage license).

Kent County Clerk
County Administration Building, 1st floor
300 Monroe Avenue NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2288

To obtain a copy of your DD214 report from the military, visit the Veterans Administration.