Board of Commissioners
Purchase Development Rights (PDR)
Contribute to the PDR Program
In 2008, a generous grant from the M. E. Davenport Foundation enabled the creation of the Kent County Agricultural Preservation Endowment Fund at the Grand Rapids Community Foundation. The purpose of this fund is to support the Kent County Purchase of Development Rights farmland preservation program. This fund is intended to provide the necessary local funds for appraisals and closing costs, both of which are not covered by state or federal grant funding.
Contributions to the Kent County Agricultural Preservation Endowment Fund will have a long-term impact in our community. Contributions will leverage state and federal grants to permanently preserve large blocks of prime and unique farmland. Agriculture is our second largest industry. It is important to our economy and our way of life. Farmland Preservation helps ensure local, safe, affordable and healthy food.
Anyone wishing to support the preservation of Kent County's prime agricultural land may make a tax deductible, charitable contribution to the Kent County Agricultural Preservation Endowment Fund by:
- Making out a check payable to GRCF/Kent County Agricultural Preservation Fund and mailed to Gina Bovee at GRCF 185 Oaks Street SW Grand Rapids MI 49503
- Donate online at www.grfoundation.org
- Include the Fund in your will.
- Call GRCF at (616) 454-1751 x113 to donate stocks, property or other assets.
You will be mailed a letter confirming your contribution for your tax records.
The Kent County Agricultural Preservation Board also has an account held by Kent County. This is where grant funds are deposited and other contributions to support specific properties are accepted. If you wish to make a contribution to this fund, please contact Kendra Wills with Kent/MSU Extension at (616) 336-2028.
For more information about supporting the Kent County PDR Program, please contact:
Staff person to the Kent County Agricultural Preservation Board
Kent / MSU Extension
775 Ball Ave NE
Grand Rapids MI 49503
Tel: (616) 336-2028
The following foundations, townships, individuals, organizations and programs have made farmland preservation in Kent County possible. To date, over $3.5 million has been contributed to the Kent County PDR Program.
- Ada Township
- Bowne Township
- The Bradford Family
- Mr. Chris Cordes, PDR Intern
- The Cranmer Family
- Crystal Flash Corporation
- The Daverman Fund at Grand Rapids Community Foundation
- Dyer-Ives Foundation
- Frey Foundation
- Grand Rapids Community Foundation
- Grand Valley Metropolitan Council
- Grattan Township
- Mr. Bill Hirsch
- Institute for Systemic Change at Grand Rapids Community Foundation
- The Keller Family
- Kent/MSU Extension
- Lowell Area Community Fund
- M.E. Davenport Foundation
- Michigan Agricultural Preservation Fund
- Nelson Township
- Mr. Bill Poelma, PDR Intern
- The Robinson Family
- Steelcase Foundation
- Mr. Tom Tilma, PDR Intern
- Urban Cooperation Board
- USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service Farm and Ranch Land Protection Program
- Wege Foundation
And a special thanks for the numerous individuals who have shown support and commitment to the Kent County PDR Program!