Kent County Parks

Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any job opportunities in the Parks?

The Kent County Parks Department hires summer part-time help to assist in maintaining the parks, campground and golf course. Hiring is done in cooperation with the Kent County Human Resources Department.

Do I have to have a reservation to use a county park?

No. A reservation guarantees that an area and tables have been reserved for you. Many parks fill up with reservations on Saturdays and Sundays during the summer. If you are planning your outing on a weekend date, a reservation is a good idea.

Is electricity available?

Some picnic areas have electricity available. Contact the park office at (616) 336-PARK to determine if the area you are interested in has electricity.

Can I bring my dog to the park?

Yes. You are required to leash and clean up after your pet. We DO NOT allow pets at Pickerel Lake Nature Preserve.

Is alcohol allowed in the park?

A person may possess and consume beer & wine only within a County Park from June 15 to October 31 of each year.

May 1 to June 14 of each year, a person may possess and consume beer and wine with a picnic, shelter or camping reservation.

A person may possess and consume beer & wine in the enclosed shelter at Douglas Walker Park at any time with a enclosed shelter reservation.

Hard liquor is not allowed, at any time, in Kent County Parks.

Are there grills available?

There is at least one grill in each picnic area in all county parks.

Can I reserve the ball diamond for my company picnic?

No. Ball diamonds cannot be reserved at this time. They are available on a first come, first served basis.

Is John Ball Park a county park?

Yes it is, but it is managed  by John Ball Zoo, a private, non-profit organization which operates the park and zoo through a lease agreement with the county. Please call John Ball Zoo at 336-4302 for reservations or visit

Can I go snowmobiling in any Kent County Park?

No. Snowmobiling is not permitted in any county park.

Who governs these other area parks and how can I contact their respective offices?

Regional Park Offices
Grand Rapids Parks
and Recreation Dept.
(616) 456-3696 Richmond Park
Riverside Park
East Grand Rapids
Recreation Dept.
(616) 949-1750 Reeds Lake Park
Wyoming Parks
and Recreation Dept.
(616) 530-3164 Ideal Park
Lamar Park
Kentwood Parks
and Recreation Dept.
(616) 531-2391 Kelloggwoods

Contact Us

Kent County Parks

1700 Butterworth SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49534-7065
(616) 632-PARK (7275)
Park Directory »

Wabasis Lake Campground

11220 Springhill Drive
Greenville, MI 48838

(616) 691-8056

L.E. Kaufman Golf Course

4807 Clyde Park Ave SW
Wyoming, MI 49509

(616) 538-5050

Suport the Kent County Parks

Employee Recognition

Nominate a Kent County Employee for Quality Service!