Animal Control

The Kent County Animal Shelter enforces the Kent County Animal Control Regulations, which outlines the requirements for animal behavior, the keeping of animals, and licensing.

If there is an animal emergency – an animal is attacking a person or a pet is in immediate danger – please call 911. Otherwise, please call the Kent County Sheriff’s Department dispatch at (616) 632-7310.
  • What do I do if my dog bit someone, or I was bitten by a dog?

    The Kent County Animal Shelter investigates all reports of dog bites in Kent County as part of community rabies control. You may report a bite directly by calling the Animal Shelter any time day or night at 616.632.7300 (press 1) or fill out a Report a Bite Form (below), which can be submitted via email.

    A dog that has bitten a person needs to be quarantined for 10 days. Depending on the circumstances, this may be done within the owner’s home or at the Shelter.

  • What do I do if I encounter a stray dog?

    KCAS is able to take in stray dogs found in Kent County. You can call the Kent County Sheriff’s Department dispatch at (616) 632-7310 to have an Animal Control Officer dispatched to the area. If you already have the dog in your possession, you may bring the animal to the Shelter during open hours.

  • What do I do if a neighborhood dog keeps barking?

    Barking dogs are generally covered by local, city, and township ordinances and should be reported to local law enforcement agencies or the Kent County Sheriff, accordingly. Local law enforcement officers may issue a civil citation to owners whose barking dogs violate local noise or nuisance ordinances.

  • How do I report a suspected case of cruelty or neglect?

    KCAS employees investigate complaints of animal cruelty and neglect. To report a suspected instance of cruelty or neglect, please call the Kent County Sheriff’s Department dispatch at 616.632.7310. Animal Control Officers visiting the scene will use the Kent County Animal Control Regulations to determine if further action is needed.

    Animal Control Officers may issue a civil citation in cases where cruelty or neglect is found to have taken place; removing the animal from the owner’s home is generally done only in extreme cases, where the animal’s life may be in imminent danger, or the owner has been cited for cruelty numerous times previously.

  • What do I do about injured wildlife?

    Kent County Animal Shelter does NOT have the proper licensing to work with wildlife. Domesticated animals (cats, dogs, livestock) cannot be mixed with wildlife. Please direct all wildlife concerns to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) at 800.292.7800 or visit their website at Otherwise, please contact your local pest control company.