17th Circuit Court

Questions and Answers

Where do I pay my child support?

Child support payments should now be sent to the Michigan State Disbursement Unit (MiSDU) at the following addresses:

Obligor's remittance - P.O. Box 30351, Lansing, MI 48909-7851

Employer's remittance - P.O. Box 30350, Lansing, MI 48909-7850

What happens if my son or daughter is referred to the Court for running away from home, being truant from school, or domestic assault?

If your son or daughter is referred to the Court by the police for running away from home or domestic assault, the matter will likely be turned over to the Crisis Intervention Program (CIP). This program is operated by the Court, is free, and offers up to six counseling sessions with a family. The CIP staff is comprised of masters' level counselors and will also address other family issues such as domestic assault. In regard to school truancy issues, the matter is usually referred to the Court by either the Grand Rapids Public Schools or the Kent Intermediate School District. This is done only after other intervention attempts are made with the family by school officials. It is important to note that a family may schedule a CIP session without a police or school referral. For a session, call (616) 336-3749.

Do I need an attorney to go to court?

Unless you are a licensed attorney in the State of Michigan, you cannot represent anyone other than yourself. Therefore, we encourage you seek legal representation. If you do not know of an attorney, you may contact the

Lawyer Referral Service
180 Ottawa Ave. NW
Grand Rapids, MI
(616) 632-6000.

If you chose to represent yourself, it is referred to as Pro Per filing. Case filing is done with the Circuit Court Clerk's Office.

How much does it cost to file for a Personal Protection Order and how soon before I get a signed order?

There is no fee for filing a Personal Protection Order. Personal Protection Order processing may take several days, so you will not obtain a protection order the same day you apply.